Tuesday 25 May 2010

Creative Design Practices

The brief consisted of a trends report and shop reports over 7 market levels. A historic research and design development body. An A3 trend board and working line-up of 6 outfits.
Although I understood the relevance of each piece of work I was initially out-faced by the quantity of work.

I enjoyed researching trends and the inspirations behind them. This fuelled inspiration for my trend board. The shop report became repetitive and rather tedious; I found interest within the analysis of garments and shop windows but not in any other features such as the layout etc. However, this was good practice for sketching garments quickly.

The historic research was based on a trip to Temple Newsham. I found the research very frustrating as I was incorrectly focusing mostly on the colour and surface design. The concept I finally found (the mysterious outline of the Ivory Tankards) failed as the outlines were too intricate to work with. I linked my previous 'outline' to sea-shells, this provided much more freedom. The sea shells led to design details of triangular shapes and exposed seams. It was at this point I became hugely passionate about my possible collection and fabrics.

Although I found the designing stage difficult (difficult to keep flowing from one design to the next) I am completely satisfied with my collection of 6 outfits. I would wear each and every garment and each piece reflected my trend (Ode to Nature) and suited my chosen retailer, River Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment