Tuesday 25 May 2010

Interdisciplinary Processes

The brief consisted of a research body with 6 A3 fabric samples, a design development body with proto-type. An innovative maxi skirt complete with craft package.

I chose the definition of biology (a profound change in form from the life history of an organism,) along with the discipline of textiles and the technique, encase. I believe I made the correct choices as I thoroughly enjoyed the research/sampling stage, I think I work particularly well when being practical with fabrics and I really appreciate textiles as a discipline. However, on reflection I realise my fabrics were quite decorative even though the brief stressed innovation and structure, I may have involved the discipline of textiles too literally within my work. This also occurred with the word encase but there came a point within my research where I realised I could interpret the word, encase, to suit my concept.

I enjoyed the design development process but unfortunately couldn't experiment much on the stand as my chosen fabric took an extremely long time to produce and was on-going throughout the project. I made a conscious effort to include the visual quality within my pages and I think I succeeded in the Ivy related pages! It is still difficult to keep annotating concise!

I am very pleased with the appearance of my maxi skirt, however I am aware that the garment is more traditional in terms of construction when the brief stressed innovation. I am aware that I could loose out on marks for this but I selected the best method of construction to reflect my research and do justice to the free-form delicate fabric.

This has been the sole project to confuse me in terms of pathway as I have always lent towards pathway B! But I have really enjoyed creating the crafts package and communicating my garment to the customer. I think the headband/swing tag was a strong innovative idea and if I'd had had more time I could of produced more ideas like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment