Sunday 22 May 2011

Research Practices.. quite a surprise!

The two words I chose to fuel inspiration and research were; Pecuniary (meaning measured in money) and Physiognomy (the notion that character traits are visible within the face, especially criminals.)
I realised these words could be extremely challenging but they both interested me, I decided to stay true to myself and go for the challenge, to make up for not doing so in previous modules.

I tried very hard with the research, trying to strike the balance between primary and secondary research; drawing, photography, sampling and imagery. I believe that I have achieved this balance successfully.

Within Pecuniary I looked at architecture, rich and poor areas and with Physiognomy I looked at stereotyping what society perceived as good or evil due to appearances alone.

Ironically at the time of research my student house in Hyde Park was burgled, I had already photographed this area for Pecuniary research... window and door grills especially. Although an awful experience this threw me into the project and I became engrossed in the concept of criminal activity and the door and window grills used to keep criminals out ( I am now using this concept for my Statement of Intent.)

I have fully enjoyed the project ever since!! A nice surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment